Jazz Ensemble is a performing ensemble consisting of saxophones (alto, tenor, bari), trombones, trumpets, percussion (piano, drums), guitar and bass. Rehearsals occur Monday, Wednesday and Thursday during the "A" lunch period. The band performs two concerts annually as well as various places throughout the community. Repertoire performed will include works from diverse jazz genres selected to expose students to a wide variety of different jazz styles and techniques. All pieces will have goals aimed at teaching/learning core objectives and entertaining. Students will get a basic understanding of jazz history and techniques as well as become familiar with important jazz musicians and composers. Music will be selected based on the ensemble talent level and other curricular goals. Students will be given materials and skills needed to improve their musicianship and improvisation skills. Jazz Ensemble is open to all students in grades 9-12. If there is a high demand for placement in Jazz Ensemble, an audition process may be used.
Our Fall/Winter Event Schedule Will Be Released Soon!
- All-County Band/Jazz Audition Recordings Due: Friday, October 12th (optional)
- All-County Band Concert: Thursday, November 15th - 7pm @ Calvert HS (if selected)
- Winter Concert Dress Rehearsal: Thursday, November 29th - 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Winter Concert: Thursday, December 6th - Report 6pm (Concert 7pm)
- Mulch Sale: Saturday, April 6th - 7:30am-1pm (mandatory to help; can be done earlier than scheduled)
- Spring Concert Dress Rehearsal: Wednesday, April 24th - 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Spring Concert: Friday, April 26th - Report 6pm (Concert 7pm)
- Coffee Shop Performance: Friday, May 24th - 7pm @ PHS Cafeteria (New Event & Mandatory for Students)
All-State jazz Info:
*Jazz audition music is in links by instrument at the bottom of the audition requirements webpage. Click on your instrument to get the music.